Sale!
Shelleys Block VRM

2015

Shelley’s Block

Per Bottle
$19.00

This product is currently out of stock and unavailable.

Case Of 6
$114.00 $90.00

This product is currently out of stock and unavailable.


This blend is a great all rounder that suits most meals, but particularly loves white meat, salads and Asian fare. Try sticky pork, Chinese cabbage and cashew stir-fry, or a classic caesar salad topped with shredded smoked chicken.

Will cellar well for 2 years and is drinking well now.

 
Category:

More information

Vintage Conditions

Vintage 2015 can be best described as having a mild growing season. Spring was dry with temperatures slightly warmer than average and summer temperatures were average to below average for the entire time. Most importantly there were no days of extreme hot weather which is ideal for flavour development. There was a period in late January of high humidity, but careful management of the vines kept the fruit free from disease. The continuing consistent warm days, enabled the vines to ripen the fruit at a consistent rate. This meant there was a reduced need for irrigation which resulted in a very strong vintage for all varieties.  

Tasting Notes

We have named our Shelley’s Block blend after one of the region’s original vigneron families. The Shelley family’s original 1880’s vineyard site today provides all of the grapes for this Viognier Roussanne Marsanne blend. This blend displays the perfect affinity these varieties have for each other. The fruit intensity of the Viognier is well balanced by the Roussanne’s length of flavour and the fresh citrus backbone of the Marsanne. Careful barrel maturation has produced a textural wine, with great freshness, aromatics and length of flavour. While designed to be enjoyed while young and fresh, the characteristics of the varieties allow the development of added texture and palate richness as the wine ages in the bottle.

Winemaking

The Marsanne and the Viognier are harvested in batches, at various
levels of ripeness, to maximise the range of varietal flavours and
characters. Early-harvested Marsanne delivers citrus and lemon butter notes, while the later picked grapes contribute hints of honeysuckle on the palate. Viognier is a typically rich variety but
when picked early displays delicate floral and tropical fruit note and maintains elegance. The Roussanne adds structure and texture to the blend.
Each variety is fermented separately at cool temperatures and 46% was fermented in tank with no oak contact. The remaining 54% was fermented in barrels with wild yeast, which adds complexity to this classic Rhone blend. There was 20% new oak and 16% older oak. The blending of unoaked and oaked wine adds a great balance between
fresh intensity and complex toasty notes.

Wine Detail & Analysis

Varieties: 43% Marsanne, 39%  Viognier, 18% Roussanne,
Region Rutherglen, North East Victoria
Harvest date February 2015
Release date May  2016
Alcohol 13.2%
Oak treatment French oak Hogsheads and Puncheons
Total acid 6.6g/L
pH 3.43
Residual sugar <1g/L


Additional Information

Weight 0.75 kg
Dimensions 10 x 10 x 35 cm
Quantity

x Case 6, Per Bottle, Case of 3, Case of 6, Case of 12, Case of 24